Academic Planning at UC Merced aims to
- Establish an iterative, multi-year planning and resource allocation process
- Empower schools and academic divisions as meaningful units for planning and resource allocation
- Advance campus-level academic priorities through aligned school and division-level planning
Academic Planning is guided by the Report of the Academic Planning Work Group (APWG), which outlines the campus’s academic goals: the three Indices of Success, corresponding criteria, and associated measures. An underlying objective of these priorities is to move the campus toward R1 Carnegie Classification.
To advance these goals, each school and academic division at UC Merced, including the Library, the Office of Undergraduate Education and the Division of Graduate Education, is developing rolling five-year plans that articulate a set of APWG-aligned goals and strategies to be implemented over a five-year period. School and division plans will form the basis of an annual planning and resource allocation process, which will involve assessing progress on school/division and institutional goals and revisiting and extending each school/division plan by one year.
In this new process, the EVC/Provost, in consultation with CAPRA, will allocate blocks of funds to schools with the intention of advancing the campus's progress on the APWG measures and in turn the Indices of Success.
Initiated in fall 2019, the academic planning process is organized into three phases:
- Phase I: Schools/divisions develop aspirational goals and values
- Phase II: Schools/divisions produce an initial draft of their multi-year plans
- Phase III: Schools/divisions submit multi-year plans
Phase I concluded in February 2020 and Phase III will conclude in spring 2021. Additional detail regarding the timeline for Phases II and III can be found in the section “Academic Planning TImeline” below.
Current Status - EVC/Provost & CAPRA Response to Phase II School/Division Draft Multi-year Plans Available
On December 14, 2020, the EVC/Provost provided to campus reviews of the Phase II school/division plans together with proposed funding priorities and campus funding estimate for upcoming years.
The next step in the process is for schools and divisions to revise their plans in light of the feedback for submission by March 19, 2021. Per the EVC/Provost's letter, guidance for this final step will be forthcoming, following consultation with CAPRA.
Overivew of Phase II Plans
Each draft plan consisted of two documents:
- a narrative overview of the school/division.
- a draft multi-year plan as an Excel file.
The Excel file outlined
- the school/divsion's goals and the strategies proposed to advance those goals (Tab 2: "Unit's Strategies & Goals")
- the relationship of those strategies to the Indices of Success, Criteria and Measures established by the APWG (Tab 3: Impact on APWG Measures)
- any additional measures the school/division has identified to help it track progress in achieving its goals (Tab 4: Additional Measures)
Visit this Box Folder to access each school and division's draft plans. Please contact Laura Martin with any difficulties.
At the conclusion of Phase I of the campus’ Academic Planning Process, each school/division submitted its draft goals together with a visual alignment of its goals to the campus’ Indices of Success and Criteria.
Phase II of the Academic Planning Process asked each school/division to
- develop Strategies to support achievement of each of its goals
- link each Strategy to one or more of the Measures (defined in the APWG report) for tracking campus progress on the Indices of Success and Criteria.
By advancing one (or more) Measures, a school/division Strategy articulates the school/division’s contribution to campus progress on the Index of Success and associated Criteria. A visual illustration of these relationships is provided in this schematic.
Per the EVC/Provost's December 14 letter, specific guidance for the final Phase III submissions will be forthcoming, following consutlation with CAPRA.
Academic Planning Timeline - Phase II & III
|Sep 25, 2020||
Schools/Divisions submit essential elements of 5-year plans.
|Oct 12, 2020||
|Nov 9, 2020||
EVC/Provost and CAPRA provide to campus reviews of school/division plans together with proposed funding priorities and campus funding estimate for upcoming years, with caveat that re-evaluated annually given fiscal uncertainties.
|Nov 9, 2020 - Jan 22, 2021||
Schools/divisions discuss synergies and feedback on initial plans/costs in light of campus funding estimate.
|Jan 22 - Mar 19, 2021||
Schools/Divisions revise their plans and estimate costs.
|Mar 19, 2021||
Revised plans and costs submitted to EVC/ Provost and CAPRA.
- Phase II submissions
- Phase I submissions and EVC/Provost and CAPRA response
- Phase II Submission Guide and Template
- Academic Planning Working Group Report
- Tableaux APWG Measures
- APWG Measures Digest
Last updated 10/12/2020